As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Friday, June 02, 2017

A Tough Females-Only Day... Friday, June 2

It was an intense workout kind of day with me checking out both a new fitness gym and getting in a solid workout at Cabbagetown Boxing Club with the Friday night Fight Club female fighters.

Classes seem to be the way that a lot of these Canadian fitness clubs are going and though I think they have a lot of benefits and plus points, they all seem to have one flaw that's consistent among them all.

You can't just go in and do your own thing.

Being that I am a professional boxer, I have to hit the boxing club for training but I also go to a fitness gym for weight training.  I have a pool at my condo where I can do extra cardio but it's too hot outside and the streets are too crazy here for me to get in any kind of serious road work.  Sometimes I hit the treadmill at the gym.  Classes are a great addition to my training though I vouch I've never been a fan of them before I started exploring some of the class training options here in Canada.  But it still raises the question of if I have a membership at the boxing club for my boxing and one at these fitness clubs for their classes, where can I just go and do my own training or hit the treadmill?  I'd have to get an additional membership.  Three memberships at three different training facilities... Ummm... I'm a starving athlete, I can't afford that, nor do I think that's really a smart way to spend your money.

I used to think that I'd have crazy hard competition until I started really doing "field research" like today.

Today I attended MOVE Fitness, a women's only fitness gym that focuses on group training.  It had a cross fit vibe to it, I really loved the set up of the gym and the vibe of those training alongside of me was very cool.  Everyone was super supportive and I didn't get nearly as competitive as I did like when I trained yesterday at Orange Theory Fitness.  

There is definitely something to be said about women training with only women and today me training at a focused facility as such really reinforced why my business is going women-only.  

I trained at Cabbagetown Boxing tonight, also among only women.  It was great to see my sparring partner again (Queen Spar) and the female fighters in Fight Club.  Queen Spar has packed on some muscle and I've really leaned out so it was interesting to note the changes in our bodies.  We're both still very much in love with boxing so we trained hard and worked up quite the sweat.  

No comments: