As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Thursday, June 01, 2017

Too Late to Catch Me... Thursday, June 1

About 7 months ago, in a most random conversation that was sparked over a shelf of books at the Toronto Reference Library, I met a woman.  As it turned out, she had connections to small business start-up grants so I gave her my contact information.  I was really excited to have crossed paths with her but then I never heard from her.  I went off to the Philippines for three months, returned and then just the other day she most randomly called me up.  She sounded very excited on the phone and said she wanted to meet up with me because she had "great news".

I met up today with her for her so-called "great news". 

A few months ago I would have jumped for joy and regarded this as my big break but, as most of you know, things have since changed for me.  I went into that meeting with her with the exact same mentality as I did when I went for a university professor position in South Korea -- I was there for the experience but had absolutely no expectations.  I landed that university interview and out of the couple of hundred that had applied for it, I scored one of five positions being offered.  I worked there for 4 years before I resigned and went full time with my boxing.  As for today's meeting, I went in with my own agenda and whatever she was going to tell me wasn't going to have any effect on me. 

I got the small business startup grant... and I said thanks but no thanks.

The me three months ago, even just a month ago actually, would have peed my pants on the spot and choked on my own words if I had said "thanks but no thanks".  I mean, it's not a huge grant but it's a great help and a great opportunity.  I don't do great anymore though and I definitely don't do Toronto, Canada for that matter. 

I have since decided to launch my business in the Philippines.  I returned to Canada to tell my family and friends, to explain myself, and apparently that also meant telling this particular company.  

I shared with her my PowerPoint presentation about the business I'm about to launch and all she could say was "Wow... Ya, the Philippines is going to love you!"  She apologized for not getting back to me sooner but I told her everything worked out for the best.  I'm super pumped about what's next for me and I'm super excited that it's in the Philippines.  

No comments: