As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Wednesday, June 07, 2017

Up, Up and Away... Wednesday, June 7

As I passed through the security check at the airport, one of the airline workers approached me. "Where is your dog?", she asked.  "Yes, your Chihauhua", her coworker added.  They were referring to Balboa and they had met him and I three months ago when I passed through here originally.  I couldn't believe they had remembered us.  As it turns out, we were also remembered in Taipei, Taiwan, at the airport there.  Very cool.

I anticipated watching movies and working on my business proposal on the plane but an hour into the flight it was lights out for me.  I totally crashed!  Nine hours later I finally woke up.  I had missed the first in-flight meal, perfect.  Rule number one for beating jet lag, don't eat anything cooked on the plane!  That stuff will back me up every single time not to mentioned it's airplane food so it's cooked by the masses and not exactly the tastiest.

Flight one of two done.  Now to kill 10 hours at the airport in Taiwan.  I had $20 US in my pocket in anticipation of desperately needing an overdose of caffeine to carry me through the stopover but with the unexpected 9hr sleep on the plane I was good to go.

Bought a coffee and then later wondered around the airport looking for a bite to eat.

When you're in Asian and you don't really eat rice and aren't into noodles, your choices for things to eat are pretty much fried food and fast food.  It makes for slim pickings.  I hadn't eaten on the plane and the last thing I ate was at 9:30pm the previous night.  I hadn't eaten for 15hrs and that large coffee from Starbucks I had downed early had literally flushed everything out of my system.

I resorted to buying a bowl of soup with some super thick noodles.

If finding food was hard than finding a seat was just as hard.

Found a seat and no sooner had I sat down but an older couple asked if they could join me at my table.  I told them "sure".  A conversation was quick to spark up amongst the three of them.  Turns out they're an older couple, in their 50's, that are from Taiwan but traveling to Japan for a week and a half of sight seeing.  They've been there numerous times before and love it, hence why they keep going back.  They had seen the mini Filipino boxing gloves hanging off my bag and inquired about them.  Next thing I knew it we were offering each other parts of our meal, giggling away and snapping a video together for my Instagram Story.  They were so incredibly sweet and so very cute.  As I got up from the table to thank them for the unexpected sweet dinner together the husband, Jem, asked if we could pose for a picture together.  I agreed and then I got them to pose for a picture using my camera.  The encounter with this couple had been totally unexpected but it probably was the best moment on my journey back to the Philippines.

No comments: