As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Feeling the Pressure... Tuesday, July 18

I was totally in a funk today.

I'm grateful to be here in the Philippines and am blessed to have my dad's driven focus and my mom's optimistic but I'd be totally lying if I didn't admit trying to launch my business here wasn't trying, testing or stretching myself thin.  

Some days it gets to me and today was one of those days.


What I'm wanting to launch is so much greater and so much more impactful than Hulk's but I'm doing it alone and it's as exciting as it is scary and intimidating.  Some times I step back and think perhaps I've bit off more than I can chew but then I realize I was the one responsible for Hulk's.  


Hulk's was my dream.  

Hulk's was my design, my ideas.  Everything from where the heavy bags would hang to the tiles in the mens shower room were my ideas.  Snickers originally wanted to rip out the massive counter at the entrance but it was me who had the idea to turn it into a juice bar so I fought him on that.  I fought him on many things before he gave in and gave up, allowed me full control of the total design of the place.  Everything from how much clients paid to starting up a running club for our members were all ideas I thought up and put into action.  

Hulk's was mine.  Snickers only helped in supporting my ideas and helping bring them to life.   

I ran the juice bar, I ran the mini pro shop, I coached the females and mini Hulkies, I ran the Crossfit circuits, I ran the running club, I ran all the social events, I ran the fitness challenges, I did the book keeping, I kept track of the members, and I even took charge of the parking area -- dealing with all those pesky parkers.  

Looking back at it, I feel as if I did do it alone.  Snickers was there but he was more like a security blanket for me to fall back on, a means of bouncing ideas off of (or fighting with him about).  

Now it's totally me though and today I really felt it.

No comments: