As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Tuesday, July 04, 2017

If It Fits My Budget... Tuesday, July 4

I'm not eating enough, I'm convinced of it but I also know I'm not hungry.  The heat and humidity makes me thirsty and I'm drinking plenty of water but the excess of water mixed with the heat and me being distracted and preoccupied with planning my business means I'm missing meals and not eating up to par with what I use to.  I'm not eating enough but I don't feel hungry.  None the less the cravings kick in.  I swear to you my cravings for bread is ridiculous but I've been pretty good with resisting and limiting myself to only one small pita a day.  One small pita with peanut butter and banana.

Bread and peanut butter... I'd eat my body weight in them every day if I could.

I'm a huge fan of macro counting -- IIFYM -- but it's not the macro counting that's the hard part for me, it's figuring out how many calories I burn in a day and whether or not I should be adjusting them depending on what I do that day.  Take for example my boxing.  My boxing training lasts 2 to 2.5hrs and then I weight train in the evening.  I don't box every day but I do weight train six days a week.  I burn a ridiculous amount of calories at boxing...

...a RIDICULOUSLY RIDICULOUS amount!

I drink a solid 2 litres of water during boxing and then before and after, with my post workout sup and preworkout protein shake, I then drink even more water.  

Water keeps me hydrated but it also keeps me feeling full.  Feeling full means I eat less.  It's a vicious cycle of trickery.  Either I'm dehydrated and I eat or I'm hydrated and I don't eat... you see what I mean?!

In between boxing and weight training though my days are pretty inactive and consist of a lot of computer work and business planning.  Then there are of course the spontaneous events I go to for business networking like dinners out and whatnot.  It's hard to calculate my calorie expenditure because it ranges from 1,600 calories to 2,500 depending on if I'm having a slow day or a busy one.
SLOW DAY
Computer work
Evening weight training 
BUSY DAY
Morning boxing
Computer work/business planning
Light errands
After swimming
Evening weight training
Head out for business meeting
I usually designate either Saturday or Sunday as my day off training so there's only one slow day during the week where I have absolutely no training.  Mind you, if I'm not training that day I at least get down to the pool for some light swimming.  It's definitely not any kind of real workout for me but my point is that I'm not totally inactive on my slowest of slow days. 

Initially I reached out to a friend of mine whom I met at Systems Fitness in Toronto, Canada.  She has since moved out of country but is quite the knowledgeable buff babe.  I follow her on Instagram and her posts are always inspiring and impressive.  The lady knows her stuff!  I reached out to her about getting her to deal with my eating dilemma but the other day I was recommended a different route -- food prep delivery.  

And so today I spent some time online searching out food prep delivery services.  Daily Grub here in the Philippines seems to be the only decent one that actually takes into consideration macros.  My macros are 45% carbs, 30% protein and 25% fats.  Daily Grub does a menu option with 50% carbs, 30% protein and 20% fats so they're pretty close to mine.  Their caloric meal options start at 1,200 calories which I personally think is a ridiculously low calorie count but they do offer a 1,500 caloric option, and a premium option for us athletes.  Their prices are definitely comparable to their competitors, they offer free delivery but for me the selling point is the consideration and concentration on macro counting.  It's suggested I go this route, get food delivery, because I'm not a fan of cooking and if left up to my own cooking I might just continue to miss meals.  I'm pondering it.  

No comments: