As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Monday, August 07, 2017

A New Week of New Opportunities... Monday, August 7

In the morning I headed off to the boxing club for my usual training but also for an interview with TV5.  They had contacted me last week and today was the set date.  Their crew was there setting up when I arrived so I introduced myself to them and chatted.  

They were interviewing me because of the upcoming fight between Mayweather and McGregor.  Everyone has their opinion about it, some louder than others, and I am no different.  Today they asked about my opinion and I gave it to them.  They then asked numerous questions surrounding the fighters and the fight so I answered and then they filmed me doing a bit of training.  It was a fun experience and I appologized to them for it being hot in the club but that's how I like to train.  The Philippines is a hot country, that's no new news, but the club gets hot and you sweat just tying your laces there.  I like it though; I like the intensity that training in such heat brings.  

Upon arriving back at my condo after my interview and after boxing, I then did some follow-up texts to those involved in making today's interview happen -- the owner of Elite Boxing and a particular female TV sports broadcaster/producer whom I met back when I was training at Elorde Boxing.  I wanted to tell them it went really well, the interview was great, and to say thank you.  They responded with kind words and then I was told by the broadcaster/producer to keep my schedule open for the morning of the fight, "just in case we need a female guest on our Mayweather coverage" she noted.  I was so flattered and felt so honoured.  Whether or not anything will become of it really didn't matter to me at that exact moment.  It was the notion behind it -- she would consider giving me the position if it came up.  That was awesome.

Big things are happening for me here in the Philippines and I have no doubt in my mind whatsoever that here is exactly where I should be.  I feel so limitless here, so unrestricted, free to expand upon myself.  So completely able to reach a new and heightened potential that I have never experienced.  

If I was able to become what I had become in Korea despite it's rules, restrictions and whatnot it forced upon me, wow... none of that exists here in the Philippines for me so I'm super curious what's going to become of me here.  This time next year, I wonder what title I'll be sporting, what experiences I will have acquired and what fabulous people I will have met.  

Stay tuned...

No comments: