As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Wednesday, August 09, 2017

Boot Camp in the Park... Wednesday, August 9

It has started... Empowered boot camp in the park!!!

Tonight I hosted the first ever Empowered boot camp at Ayala Triangle Park and about an hour and a half before we were to start training I noticed one of my Empowered sisters had already arrived.  She posted some short videos clips of the park on her Instagram Story.

I've hosted boot camps before, back in Toronto when I brought Flipside Fitness to Canada from Korea.  I had a small group to work with and I ended up getting a lot more personal training pairs out of it and customizing the training for each pair, letting them pick and day, time and also a location.  

I have 9 ladies signed up for my boot camps -- a Wednesday crew and a Saturday crew.

Tonight my Wednesday crew showed up for training.

My biggest concern was making sure the ladies had as much fun working out as they did getting a good burn from the exercises.  I know my level of intensity that I train at isn't everyone's goal so I knew I'd have to tame it down and make it enjoyable for them.  I think it's safe to say mission accomplished.

For my birthday this past weekend I received a wicked little bluetooth speaker so I cranked that up with my music while the ladies trained.  

I hosted my boot camp close to one of the park entrances because I thought we'd stand out like a sore thumb and it'd bring upon a lot of attention but it really wasn't like that at all.  The sun started to go down as we started the camp and the park was already buzzing with countless people also training.  There were so many clusters of people training so I was as shocked as I was inspired.  It was almost as if anyone and everyone who was exercising outside was there at the park.  I've never actually been at Ayala so late so I didn't really know what to expect but I definitely didn't expect all these people. 

As my bootcamp concluded, we snapped a couple of pictures and fist bumped each other.  They were all dripping with sweat and I was proud of their hard efforts -- I was really proud of them.  I suspected it might be an easy camp for one of the girls in particular who I know is quite the fitness buff -- she's always posting fitness stuff on Instagram.  But there was one point where the light from the street caught her and I saw a drip of sweat drop from her chin.  I was relieved to see this because it reassured me that she was trying hard and I was challenging her.  Another participate has never done this kind of training before but she was a good sport and I know she got in a good workout and had fun.  I think they all had fun because I know I really did. 

This Saturday at 10am I have another boot camp, one with 5 participants, so I'm excited for that.  I'm particularly excited about this camp because in it is a lady that is particularly special to me.  She's a part of my adopted Filipino family and is coming out with a couple of her friends.  

No comments: