As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Thursday, August 10, 2017

Hell in the Park... Thursday, August 10

I'm super competitive, I know, but I didn't realize just how competitive I was until I showed up for the run with the Makati Running Club.  I had come up from the underpass when this guy ran up beside me.  

...and just like that a race was sparked.

I beat him, though I must admit perhaps he didn't realize I was really racing him.  And as I passed him and stopped where my team mate was waiting for me, I motioned to her that I beat "that guy".  I then told her I didn't know who "that guy" was but I beat him and I was proud.  She giggled and called me out on just how super competitive I am.

There were four of us who met up tonight for the Makati Running Club Thursday sprint interval training run and one member in particular was quick to be pointed out to me... Richard.  He was the only guy running in our crew tonight but he looked tinier than the three of us gals.  He looked exactly what a typical runner looks like -- super lean and very little body fat on his body.  I was told about how the other month he competed in a race against the Marines and had won first place.  Talk about impressive.  I was definitely impressed but it also meant he instantly became my competition for tonight's run.  

TONIGHT'S RUN: 
WARMUP:
1 full lap, a warmup jog around the outside of the park
dynamic stretching with the team 
SET ONE:
1 sprint from the beginning of the park to the end
1 recovery jog back to the start of the park
x3 
1 team sprint from the beginning of the park to the end
1 half lap, a recovery jog around the outside of the park  
SET TWO:
1 sprint from the beginning of the park to the end
1 recovery jog back to the start of the park
x3 
1 team sprint from the beginning of the park to the end
1 full lap, a recovery jog around the outside of the park 
COOL DOWN
static stretching with the team
strength training exercises (legs, ankles and abs)

I had left my condo around 8:15pm and booked it to Ayala Triangle with little time to spare so I had to basically sprint it there.  I returned home around 10:30pm, super soaked and dripping with sweat.  It was a good run, a great workout, but I'm not going to candy-coat it and say it was fun.  It wasn't fun unless you think almost puking in your mouth and feeling like you're going to give yourself a hernia from pushing yourself so far is fun.  It was intense.  Intense but good.  God knows I wouldn't have been able to push myself like that if I had done that workout on my own... I wouldn't have even attempted to do it on my own actually.  

Props to the Makati Running Club for kicking my butt today and a special shout out to Richard for giving me some solid competition.  Man can that guy run!!!

No comments: