As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Monday, September 18, 2017

A New Week, New Goals... Monday, September 18

I've overworked, overtrained, underpaid, and underfed.

I'm an entrepreneur and a professional athlete, two professions that don't get anything until they make something.  I can't tell you how raw of a truthful statement that is... wow.

I'm make little money here -- I coach boot camps -- and that basically pays for my training and food.

My food costs more than my training though, an odd reality of being a boxer in the Philippines where everyone and the kid next door seems to want to be the next Pacquiao so boxers and boxing clubs are plentiful.  Consequently, boxing coaches get paid peanuts and club memberships are low but fitness trainers get paid their weight in gold and a gym membership at a fitness club is pricy in comparison. A fitness instructor's certification seems to hold more weight than the lengthy ring experience resume of a boxer.  It's an insult to the profession.  

...don't even get me started.

Am cutting myself off right here, right now...

So training is cheap [in price] but food tends to be my biggest expense.  What I pay one month in training I shill out for food every couple of weeks.

The irony of being so deligent with planning my business though is that I've been spending so little on food lately and that's solely because I get so wrapped up in my work that I forget to eat.

I resorted to setting my alarm clock to remind myself when to eat.

I'm home for hours on end when I'm working on my business so I have no excuse why not to cook except for the fact I become so consumed and forget all about eating.

I've resorted to getting my food delivered.

I was waiting upon a particular company to get back to me regarding my macro and daily calorie needs but I lost all patience after waiting about a month so I decided to figure it out for myself.  I then contacted a food delivery service company here in Manila that will precook and then deliver a week's worth of food to me.  I haven't yet started but when I do I'm going to give them a fair try, try them for 2 weeks, and then make the call as to whether I want to continue with them or not.  

Food is fuel and at the level I'm burning fuel, I really can't afford to be running on empty.

No comments: