As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Tuesday, September 19, 2017

They're Too Sweet... Tuesday, September 19

Found out the hard way that there are no coin counting machines here in the Philippines, not even at the banks.  So, what was suppose to be me simply dropping off 5 months worth of loose change turned into quite a long and tedious task.  But the Philippines are a happy crew of people and when the bank teller told me I had to not only separate it by hand but also put it into baggies and count it, she volunteered to help me and then so did one of the bank's security guards.  So there I stood for the next 40 minutes, separating, counting and bagging two containers packed to the max with pesos.  

1,965 pesos.  That's about $53.10Cdn. 

I would have had more change had I not spent the largest of pesos, the 10 peso coins.   

Shout outs here to Metro Bank.  They won't give me a simple bank account because of my tourist visa but they'll let two of their works spend close to an hour dealing with my coins.

[Add me giggling here.]

The look on the security guard's face when he pulled out the random Canadian toonie from my pile of coins was hilarious.  A toonie looks just like a 10 peso coin and it's pretty much the same size.  When I told him it was worth about 74 pesos he looked so impressed and shocked, as if he had just discovered gold.  Thinking back about the situation, I really should have let him keep every toonie he came across.  

No comments: