As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Monday, October 16, 2017

The Unseen Struggles... Monday, October 16

Once again there's becoming an increasingly amount of things that I can't publicly discuss nor go into detail even here on my homepage.  Today's business meeting was one of them but I'm going to shed some light on it here.  

I went to a business meeting today for what I thought would be a discussion about my business when in actuality it was a discussion of how I can get involved with someone else's business.  I guess they weren't sure if my business was still a go which is weird because I'm so public about it and this particular person told me they had "the perfect location" for my business, that's why we met.  

Ya, enter me scratching my head here too. 

Anyways, I arrived early, grabbed a tea and waited.  The person I was to meet arrived and then someone else arrived too.  I knew they knew each other but thought it was a fluke that they were both here.  But then this second person sat down at our table; they sat with us.  Ya, not a fluke, totally planned.  

It was them trying to more or less bring me on board with their idea.

I was quick to set the record straight and tell them I'm doing my own thing, I've got Empowered, and that's when the meeting went from a meeting with me to a meeting between them.  Awkward.

I'm still sick which means I'm super light headed and pretty much can't stomach anything so coffee is a no go and the smells of all that food made me nauseous.  I showed up super early to a coffee shop out of town and still had to travel back to Makati, and I quite frankly could have, would have and should have been doing something more productive with my time... like recovering.

The good out of the bad that I got today was I saw in one investor her curiosity with becoming an entrepreneur but her uncertainty with it.  Uncertainty is what being an entrepreneur is all about.  Look at me, I haven't had a steady pay check since I worked at the university in Korea, some 7 years ago maybe, and I have just enough money stuff in my drawer to pay for a couple of weeks worth of food. Investors love safety though, they hate uncertainty, that's why these two particular investors have gone with franchised businesses.  Us entrepreneurs though, we're the one who takes that leap of faith; we're the one who makes those franchises.  Anyways, she's kind of on the fence with where she sits though so I thought I'd give her a little pull over to my side, the side of the entrepreneur.  I think she just needs to realize that everything she doesn't like about the franchised company is what she could change if she launched her own.  It'd be her business -- her ideas and her rules on her terms.  That in itself should be enough motivation to join my side.  After all, what's the worst that can happen, you fail?!  You're not going to die.  But what happens if you succeed?  And what happens if you don't try at all?  You've already failed then.

No comments: