As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Friday, November 17, 2017

Blame the Little Guy... Friday, November 17

Today wasn't quite a heavy-hitter kind of day like yesterday and I totally blame my four legged sidetick.

Yes, I blame Balboa.

I tell ya, he milks the cute card and that cute card is a hard one to fight off.

He woke me up at 7am for a bathroom break, I stayed up, had breakfast and then laid down beside him on the bed for what was only suppose to be a 10 minute nap.  I had packed all my boxing gear, even had my training clothes on, so I was ready to nap and then get going.

I woke up 2.5hrs later.  

Blame Balboa.  

Woke up hungry, ate, and then had to take him for another walk.

Then I tried to get to work but with him climbing all over me and then snoozing on my nap, it was hard to resist not taking a billion and one pictures of him.  The struggle was real.

I was productive with my day but it came with starting much later than anticipating and with me using up a chunk of my phone memory on pictures of this little cutie.  I didn't head into boxing till the late afternoon and when I arrived everything was turned off -- the lights, the round bell, the music.  All the coaches were sleeping and only the front desk lady was awake and working.  Coach Bogs had anticipated coaching me in the morning and now it was late afternoon when I was arriving so I told the front desk gal to not wake him but instead let me do my own solo training and come back tomorrow for pads.

So much for Saturday being my day off training.  Sunday is my new day off, at least for this week.

It's been a very mentally challenging week of frustration and anticipation with having to wait out this holiday and try to move Empowered forward as much as I could and still mustard up the energy and focus to give it 100% at training.  But it was a good week.  I think yesterday made up for the rest of the week and now we're approaching the weekend.  I've been on par with my training and next week I'll be kicking it up a notch with sparring on Monday and training with Coach Kristian on Tuesday.

No comments: