As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Thursday, November 30, 2017

Canada in Makati... Thursday, November 30

I lived in Korea for 11.5yrs and have no lived in the Philippines for 8 months, so I've been living in Asia for a little under 13yrs.  Nice.  When I first moved to Korea there were of course the Canadian treats and products that I really missed, things I got my mom and friends to mail me.  They ranged from Oxygen Magazine issues and bras to Trident gum and Kraft Dinner.  But with each year that passed, things I loved and once longed for got replaced and forgotten.  I still do have a list of things I want from Canada but it's so much shorter.  My Canadian wish list basically only consists of two things:  Crest Toothpaste and Lady Speed Stick.  I still crave Stove Top Stuffing but I know it's not exactly healthy so it's a luxury item I can do without.  

Today I was introduced to something from Canada that I can get on the regular -- Tim Horton's coffee.  Coach Hernandez messaged me the other day to tell me that one opened up here in Makati, over by his boxing club, so after training today I told him I'd treat him to a coffee if he showed me it.

Viola, a Tim Horton's in Makati.

It's not the only one here apparently but it's the only one that's within walking distance.  I've been to a Timmies in BGC and I heard the one in Eastwood has finally opened, but with this one being in Makati and being so close to my house,... sweet.  I predict treating myself to a Timmies coffee every time I box at Hernandez boxing.

The price of a Tim's coffee here in Makati is more than double the price of it in Canada, of course, it's an imported item, but it's still cheaper than the average coffee.  But reaching over the counter to be handed my Timmies today, wow, it felt so weird I couldn't help but giggle.  It tasted exactly like how it does in Canada and for a moment I totally forgot that I was here in the Philippines.  I felt like I was back in Canada.  That is until I walked out of the shop and was blasted by the heat and sun of the Philippines... hahaha.
 

No comments: