As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Thursday, November 02, 2017

Continuing On... Thursday, November 2

I love my Thursdays -- breakfast out, boxing and functional weight training. 

On Thursdays I don't actually box with Coach Bogs.  I do train solo.  Coach Bogs kills me on padwork but it's nice on Tuesdays and Thursdays for me to fly solo and just focus on pointers either he at Elite Boxing or Coach Kristian at Hernandez Boxing gave me.

This past week Coach Bogs introduced me to a specific combo combo that was based around some tricky foot work that totally left me mentally frustrated.  It was a simple double jab followed by a left body shot and then a right body shot but the footwork involved was the very opposite of what I've been doing.  Instead of stepping back with my back foot first, he had me step back with my front foot and then go to the side.  The reason for the footwork is to work the angles, position yourself on your opponent's side and really work those body shots.  It's a great combo to work but mastering the footwork felt like the equivalancy to telling a right handed person to suddenly write with their left or vise versa.  Today I headed into the boxing club and worked on this specific footwork combo for rounds after round.

I finally got it!!!

I did the mistake today of getting so consumed in my work that I forgot to map out my training properly.  I was suppose to go to the boxing club in the morning for solo boxing training and then return in the evening for functional training but that totally didn't happen.  Instead, I went in the evening and buddied up my two workouts.  

I was at the boxing club for three hours straight... it was exhausting!

The other day I had mentioned that a local supplement company had reached out to me, asking me to be one of their brand ambassadors.  That night I actually ran into someone at the boxing club who was sporting this particular company's t-shirt.  A funny but strange coincidence.  Today their "package" of free samples arrived.

Unprofessional and insulting.

Those are the two words that came to my mind instantly when I saw what they had sent me.  Two packs of pre-workout and two packs of BCAAs, hardly enough for me to really see how my body responds to their products.  And don't even get me started on the fact that they were placed in an envelop that had my name and address scribbled on it and the envelop wasn't even sealed.  It was stapled close with one staple in the middle.  

I won't throw any shade on them and publish their name here but I definitely won't be wearing their name if this is how they do business.  I remember back in Toronto Isogenix approached me, twice actually.  One rep ended up becoming quite the business mentor to me and another one of their reps really set me up with addiquate samples to test out.  I would have totally gone with their company for my own supplements and for my business but then I left Canada and relocated here in the Philippines.  

My only complaint with Isagenix was their protein powder.  It didn't taste good and lacked a variety of flavours but their other products were amazing not to mention their reps really knew their stuff.  They were all about educating their clients, I loved that, and they were all about planning out supplement course of attack that was personally suited for each and every one of their clients.  They invested their interest into me as a client so there was no guessing on my behalf with regards to what I should be taking, not too mention they also mapped out when and why I should be taking what they had planned for me.  Best supplement company I've ever worked with.  

As for this Filipino company, they asked me nothing and sent me an insulting amount of samples.  I don't take a pre-workout and if they had asked me they wouldn't have sent it to me.  So out of the two samples I can only use the BCAAs but for BCAAs I absolutely love BPI's BCCAs.  My body responds well to them and I love the flavour I just recently picked up.  I think I was more impressed with this company when I only saw them on Instagram because in actuality, now that I've encountered them beyond Instagram, I have absolutely no interest what so ever.

No comments: