As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Going Strong... Wednesday, November 29

If "the magic", as they say, happens only when you go out of your comfort zone then I definitely was ankle-deep in magic today at sparring. I anticipated six rounds of sparring with Coach Bogs and suspected he'd drop our half way point break, a breather in between completely 3 rounds and getting ready for the final 3. But what ended up happening was him pushing me for no break plus an additional two extra rounds of sparring. And, if that wasn't intense enough, when we stepped out of the ring from sparring he then called me over to the heavy bags and made me do various rounds on it with him either watching over me or joining in on the workout via using the bag beside me. 

I left the boxing club drenched in sweat, my 2.5L Mammoth Mug chugged, exhausted and now super hungry. Training is going good, great actually. I'm at the boxing club a solid 6 days a week, some days twice a day. And while most of the time I'm at Elite, I'm training with Kristian Hernandez of Hernandez Boxing over at City Club once a week. I go there tomorrow for training with him actually. 

What's not going good for me though is my eating. It's not very clean in that the food delivery service I'm testing out this week has been loading my meals up with processed and refined foods, like pasta and bread. And don't even get me started on their macros!!!  I'm sorry but any delivery company that thinks cheese is a legit source of lean protein is no company I'd like to be associated with. The other day my first two meals were loaded with cheese. My breakfast was a grilled cheese sandwich with cheese oozing out and my lunch was pasta with an additional crazy dose of cheese in it. The company proclaims the daily food they send me is only 1500 calories but you and I both know not all calories are the same. I want to know how that calorie count is divided and by that I mean I want to know their macro count -- carbs, protein and fat. I messaged this particular company and asked them if they could send me their macros for their food plan. 

Their macros: 60% carbs (225g), 15% protein (56g), and 25% fat (42g). 
Yummy Diet's macros:  45% carbs (169g), 35% protein (131g), and 20% fat (33g).

Only 15% protein?! I mean come on, what's my body going to do with only 56g of protein when I need well over 100g!!! 

It's interesting to note just how many followers and likes they have on Instagram and Facebook. Only proves that there are a lot of ignorant people out there falling for the fact that this company calls themselves a diet company. They have the word "diet" in their name actually but, if you ask me, if I continue on with this so-called "diet" company I most definitely will be needing to go on a diet. That's the irony of the whole situation. I hired them a week ago and fired them today. 

I guess it's back to Yummy Diet. I did really like Yummy Diet. I only tried another company out because I was curious and I wanted better snacks.  Their presentation and snacks weren't as paid attention to as this other company I've been trying out this week but their macros were on par with what I need and I did enjoy their meals. My only issue with them was I wish they gave better snacks then just fruit. In the afternoon, after my boxing and after my post training meal, I like to sit down to work on Empowered and have a coffee and a have a snack. An orange and a coffee just don't work well together. I need something to satisfy my sweet tooth, something that's a little bit of a cheat, or I go a little sugar-needy.

No comments: