As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Friday, November 10, 2017

More Holidays Coming... Friday, November 10

Next week there are holidays... again.

Three days of holidays... yet again.

This means businesses will close, companies won't respond to emails, workers won't work, and business associates won't even so much as meet for coffee or a bite to eat if they think business will surface.

The country will shut down.

...but, and get this, the boxing club will still be up and running.  Strange but true.  I'm not able to meet with the boxing club owner because it's a holiday, he cancelled because of it, but yet I can train with his coaches at his club.  

Don't even get me started on that.

One of the reasons why I think pretty much the entire country shuts down on holidays is because they seriously work way too much.  Many companies make their workers work from the start of the business day to closing, like at most boxing clubs for example.  So, this means if the club opens at 6:30am and closes at 10am, that worker is working 15.5 hours that day, times how many days a week they're scheduled, hence why they usually sleep there till their day off.  An average Filipino worker works 5-6 days a week, my coach works six days.  The typical work week in Canada is 40 hours but here in the Philippines, I know many that work twice that plus more.  Seriously, that's rough. 

Maybe if the country didn't work their people quite like slaves then they wouldn't be so desperate to milk the holidays for all the free time they can get.  When I think of it that way, I really can't get angry at the country for shutting down next week.  I can name off a dozen or so friends who I know just last week they worked 85+ hours.

I'm not here to push my first nation mentality on them, they don't need that and I don't think that's either fair or right, but I do worry about them.  Three days of holidays in a row is going to kill the progress of my business because I won't be able to do any real estate hunting or business meetings during those days, but I know the Filipino workers do need their break.  They're such a hard working group of people.  My only wish would be that they ALL get that much due break, like my boxing coaches who will be working regular hours.  The holidays are irrelevant to them but apparently important to management.  I don't think that's quite fair and I don't care to work my workers like that.  If I'm stepping on anyone's toes for having said that and if what I said makes some feel guilty than maybe it's because that's their conscious reacting and that really has nothing to do with anything I did but their own doing.

No comments: