As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Not as Planned... Tuesday, November 14

Day Two of this holiday nonsense with many businesses being closed and Makati being a ghost town which meant the only business that was going to go down today was that of boxing and that between my business partner and I.

Held my business meeting at Skittles' salon, The Refined.  It was like hitting two birds with one stone -- I could check in on them plus score free coffee and a cozy spot to have my meeting.  Perfect.  

Our business meeting over coffee turned into chats over dinner.

Returned home just in time to head out to the ASEAN music concert.  It was a free concert and so it was anticipated to have a huge crowd because, well, it was free but also because it was loaded with many local Filipino performing artists.  As my Uber drove past it on my way home from my meeting I could help but gasp at the sight of the already so early but already so big crowd.

I don't do crowds.

Ended up ditching the free concert with my friend who is also anti-crowds and instead found a cozy table for two at Blackbird.  I've never actually been to Blackbird but it's a gorgeous restaurant that's beside Ayala Triangle.  I pass it several times a week and have always been curious to check it out but had ruled it out on account of the high class and glamorous vibe it gives off.  I can't afford it is what I'm saying.  But my friend insisted we dine there tonight.  She had missed my birthday party this past summer because she crashed after a long day of work and though she sent me a gift she still feels guilty about it.  No need, really, she's a great person and I know she's a super busy lady.  Being treated tonight to a surprise belated dinner party was absolutely fantastic and it was so nice to just sit down, relax, and actually have some girl time with her.  I didn't get home till about 11:20pm, much later than I anticipated, and I knew I had work waiting for me, but I decided to give myself the night off and just hit the sack after walking Balboa.  I scooped him up in my arms and off to sleep we went... or so we tried.  

Too much on my mind.

These days all I can think about is that particular Filipino female fighter and the title she now sports.  I've been waiting to have a meeting with the owner of Elite to discuss this but each time I go to contact him I stop myself.  He's not going to be the one to bring me to where I want to go so I'm going to try another approach.

I think I have it figured out.

Finally around 3am I fell asleep.  Brutal considering I have sparring tomorrow morning.

No comments: