As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Sunday, December 10, 2017

A Musical Celebration... Sunday, December 10

As I sat in the church congregation with the pews packed with people and the voices of the numerous choirs filling up the church, I couldn't help but giggle.  Up on one of the displays screens showing the song lyrics to the Christmas carols being sung, was a picture of a pine tree and snow flakes falling.  

I wondered how many people there have ever seen a real pine tree, the typical Christmas tree.  And I wondered if any of them even knew what a real pine tree smelt like.  They have Christmas trees here like they do in Canada but of course they're fake.  The smell of freshly cut pine trees is no where to be found in the air nor are pine needles scattered on the ground from a family who just picked out their Christmas tree.

And then there are the snow flakes.  I asked Coach Bogs if he's ever seen snow and he told me no.  I wonder how many other people here have never seen snow.  They've never made a snowman, got into a snowball fight, and they've never had the joy of making a snow angel.  

I'm quite alright not having to deal with the snow that comes with winter in Canada but no snow for Christmas, now it just doesn't feel like Christmas.  But for that moment while I listened to the Christmas concert, it actually felt like Christmas for me.  Christmas was in the air.  They had eleven choirs from surrounding churches and schools perform, and they even had an orchestra.  It was a two hour concert that was quite beautiful; the entire event was awesome.  I loved the orchestra and they sang some of my favourite Christmas carols.  It felt just like how I remembered Christmas.

...and then of course I left the church to go home.

I opened the church door and the blast of heat from the Philippines instantly reminded me that I was miles upon miles away from having a white Christmas.

No comments: