As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Tuesday, December 26, 2017

Boxing Day... Tuesday, December 26

It's Boxing Day in Canada, how ironic because it's back to boxing day here in the Philippines.

Today I returned to training after what has felt like way too long.  "But it's only been two days", said a friend.  "ONLY" two days?!  Girl, do you know how many calories I would have burn in those two days of training, the excessive pools of sweat I would have left on the club floor and the overdose of ephedrine, aka "feel good vibes", I missed out on?!  Exactly... a lot, a ton.

It definitely felt like a long-time-no-see moment when I walked into the club.

Not many were there, just the hardcore fighters, others are milking the holiday for one more day.

Next week I'll be moving out of Makati but I'll still be traveling to Elite for training and to Hernandez Boxing at Alphaland City Club.  I'm finishing up my Empowered bootcamps here in Makati but will be launching a small group boxing class at Hernandez Boxing and plans for Empowered bootcamps in BGC are in the works.  Right now my business partner, Coach Farah, runs a Saturday morning bootcamp at Track 30th, so I don't know if I'll be pigging backing on that with coaching every other week or launching another Empowered bootcamp in BGC.  I'm thinking about launching just a boxing-focused bootcamp.  In a perfect world, the new condo I'll be moving into will have a spare room in the amenities area for me to host such a boxing class because as well as my boxing bootcamps run outside, I can't do them when it rains.  Mother Nature and her rain don't do well with my gloves that run anywhere from $60 to $200.  

Speaking of condos...

I've been searching the condo rental ads like a maniac, seriously.  I'm addicted to RentPad, an online rental ad space for rentals in the Philippines.  There's hundreds upon hundreds of condo ads and I only responded to my top four.  

I'm in love with this particular condo that has a yellow kitchen.  The condo has so much character!!!

I responded to only 4 but at 1:15am one of the ads I enquired about contacted me.  It was the Realtor.  He appologized for the lateness of his text and then started off with the usual, expected questions -- what is my budget, when do I want to move it, etc.  I told him that I was only interested in the condo ads I had responded to.  Text messages continued from him with him stating the owner of the condo is very picky with who they rent to so he started to asking me more personal questions, like my age, if it's just me moving in, what do I do in the Philippines and so forth.  I wouldn't have thought anything about it if it weren't for the time of his texts, it was so damn late, and the fact that the profile I had set up online with RentPad had my picture.  I had used one of my boxing pictures -- me sporting a hot pink sports bra, leggings and boxing gloves.  

He ended the text message conversation by telling me that he won't be able to show me the condo until Friday.  Thanks guy.  Thanks for what felt like a text message date interview.  I'm not interested in a date, I could honestly care less if you think I'm cool or not, I'm interested in finding a condo.  Punk.

No comments: