As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Saturday, December 02, 2017

Christmas Party Time... Saturday, December 2

Christmas is fast approaching and I'm not really a fan of it.  It was always my mom who exploded Christmas on the fireplace mantel, stair railings and whatnot in the house.  She'd be cooking Christmas cookies for weeks, blasting Christmas carols, and signing cards well before Christmas even hit the stores.  I kept the momentum of Christmas going after she died via hosting a Christmas Eve sleepover party for Flipside Fitness (my first company) and then decorating Hulk's Boxing with a Christmas tree and hosting Christmas events for members.  Last year I had my first warm Christmas.  I spent it in Florida and saw a Christmas parade at Disneyland.  It was different, not what I would have picked, but I was surrounded by a beautiful family that had taken it upon themselves to let me enjoy a very fun-filled and family-filled Christmas with them.

This year I'm in the Philippines for Christmas and Christmas started at the start of the "Ber Months", as Filipinos call them -- SeptemBER, OctoBER.

Tonight I attended the Christmas party hosted by my condo.  I didn't have high expectations for it but in the afternoon, when I walked Balboa on the 7th floor, my expecations and thinking of it was instantly challenged.  There were beautiful white-linen tables everywhere, some of the workers were setting up large spotlights, and throughout the afternoon I could hear them testing out the sound system.  I was hesitant to attend the Christmas party tonight, not because I didn't think it'd be a big deal but because I was just not feeling the Christmas spirit.  It's hard to be in the spirit without any snow or chilly weather.  I know I did it last year but I was also spending my Christmas with a very festive family around the clock.  

I showed up for the party, eventually, ...about thirty minutes late.

As soon as I got off the elevator on the 7th floor I could hear everyone.  The place was packed!  I was totally shocked and ultimately impressed.  Seeing all the workers from my condo participating, whether it was helping with the food or performing in front of everyone, it was so great.  They really did an amazing job and I almost let myself miss it.  

No comments: