As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Wednesday, December 13, 2017

My Detailed Proposal... Wednesday, December 13

I'm still sick, Day Two, and just as NOT fun as Day One but today I was a lot more productive.

On Monday I had a business meeting at the Bicutan Treatment Rehabilitation Centre and I left there really wanting to help out, really wanting to make a difference, but picking my brain with how we can make this possible. 

If only money wasn't an issue, the things I'd do.  I'd love to do more but money is an issue though because I don't have it and I really can't afford to spend the little I do have on going way out there and back when I could be further building Empowered.  The financial strain it'd put on me would be too much and the only thing I could possibly give up to even consider making what they want happen would be to stop paying for my boxing and stop buying food.  Training and food, the necessities of my life here in the Philippines and the only two things I can barely afford.  

The struggle is real... but anyways... 

Coach Farah said something at the meeting that sparked quite the idea in my little Polish noggin.  Instead of training the female patients, why don't we train the staff to train the patients.  It's like what's more helpful, giving someone a fish or teaching them how to fish?!  Exactly.

And with that I spent my day creating what I have labelled "The Empowered FitSquat Mentorship Program".

I want to proposal to Bicutan the launch of a three month trial of our mentorship program and the see were it goes.  If it goes well, then we can discuss the next steps.  If it goes belly up and flops, then we can consider it an experience for the books and either change it up or go our own separate ways.  Either way, both parties really have nothing to lose.

My only real request, travel compensation.  

From my place in Makati, it's roughly a $10-12 Uber ride.  But then that's only one way, so that's $20-24 for a round trip.  Super expensive when you consider here in the Philippines my Uber rides are usually no more than $5 one way ($10 round trip).  

Tomorrow I'm going to edit it more, let Coach Farah look over it and then send it to Bicutan.

Let's hope this happens.  The potential for it to really bring life and empowerment to those women at the rehab centre is so great.  I really want to make this work, I want this to make a difference.  I know it'll make a difference in not only the lives of those patients but also the staff and in me too.  We have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

No comments: