As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Saturday, December 16, 2017

The Sweetest of Sweet... Saturday, December 16

I think the sweetest thing that has ever happened to me in the Philippines happened tonight.

I was invited to the Elite Boxing Club Christmas party and when I arrived I was confused as to why it was just the coaches there.  Coach Bogs was busy using the karaoke machine and others were setting up the food table.  I was the only client there.  Turns out it was their staff Christmas party, for staff only.  

Wow.

There was that moment of realization where I just stood there speechless and smiling.  I was touched.

My high from the sweetness of the invite came to a nasty crash in the evening though.

I'm moving.

I'm moving to BGC in the new year, just not sure on the finer details like where exactly and when.

I don't anticipate having to leave my boxing club though; I'm convinced I can make it work.  I just have to figure out if I can store most of my equipment at the club and the 4.3km distance between BGC and Makati will be my new boxing warmup.  The jog back will be the challenge.

Makati no longer makes sense except for my training.  Both Elite Boxing and Hernandez Boxing are here.  I train in here in Makati but am launching Empowered either in BGC or McKinley, my business partner is in BGC, and BGC is where all my business meetings and dealings go down with of course the exception of my bootcamps.  


No comments: