As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Friday, December 15, 2017

Trying to Dodge Disappointment... Friday, December 15

The hardest part of my entire week isn't stepping into the ring to spar, it's not in getting in double doses of training, and it's not in attending meeting after meeting for Empowered.  

The hardest part of my entire week is Saturday morning, 8am.

I wake up every day at 8am but my Saturday 8am wake up is rough because it comes after an evening of messaging that week's participants for my Empowered bootcamp.  At 8am on Saturday, I turn on my phone and in come messages from participants backing out for this reason or that.  Whether their reasons are legit or not isn't the issue, it's that I've planned a workout for them and have been looking forward to coaching them.  And with every participant that drops out last minute my planned bootcamp then has to be suddenly altered.  It's hard to plan for a bootcamp when I know that come Saturday morning plans have to be suddenly scrapped, altered and adapted with such little time to do so.  

It's discouraging, stressful and a bit heartbreaking to have members cancel on me on such a last minute notice.  I'm not mad at them because I know I take it more to heart than I should, but it does make for a hard morning to wake up to on Saturday.  

Today I decided I wasn't going to do that to myself again; I needed a mental break from it so I decided to only text message two of my girls.  

I experienced this with Flipside Fitness in Korea, members cancelling last minute for my boxercise classes, so I've come to expect it.  It doesn't mean it's not discouraging though because it still is.  The key is in launching the official location.  That was the key with Flipside Fitness.  With Flipside, I sold punch cards for my classes, this time with Empowered though I sold 4 week camp sessions.  The 4 consecutive week sessions add much more security for me compared to the 10 class punch card sold with Flipside but it's in between when the ladies finish camp and start up their next one that is the issue.  

In the new year I'm going to have it that participants have to pay before the camp, something that I wasn't able to do because I didn't have a bank account but now I have access to one.  I anticipate the boxing class at Hernandez Boxing in Alphaland City Club being a big hit but my members from Empowered will have limited spots available because the class will also be offered to current members of the City Club.  Am still working out the details on that. 

Perhaps I shouldn't have commented on the above, what I find most discouraging, but that's just who I am.  I am very much an open book like that and I tell it how it is.  I know I have to screen a lot of things from my homepage being that I have two businesses and what I say very much reflects on them both but I think people like it more when I am open and make myself vulnerable.  I may be a business entrepreneur and a fighter but I'm very much a real person and sh!+ that stinks to the average person also stinks to me too.  I think if there were more interaction between myself and my readers I'd be more translucent and open but I really don't know who reads my homepage or why.  Commenters usually stick to private messaging me as oppose to leaving public comments on my page for others to respond and react to.  I guess they're just as private as I can be.  

No comments: