As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Monday, January 15, 2018

Shaken But Not Stirred... Monday, January 15

Challenges, they're inevitable.  They're expected but unexpected and today I was taken by surprise by how this particular challenge unfolded.  I won't go into the full details of it but will say that I am no longer working with a business partner on my business venture, on Empowered.

I'm flying solo once again, just like how I started this all.

Table for Empowered is now a table for one.  One plus all the investors and clients I'm building up that is, sure, but for now management business meetings sit at a table for one.

My business partner is pregnant.  She told me a month or two ago but it's something we haven't actually disclosed to our investors, sponsors or even made public on our Empowered Facebook group page.  Only a few of our clients know and those that do know only know because of run-ins with her at our bootcamps.  I really wanted to throw it out there for everyone to know, to use it to motivate other young moms or soon-to-be-moms that you can still train while you're pregnant.  I thought it'd be an awesome spin on her approach to training and her perspective.  

One problem, she's pregnant and wanting to go overseas to have it.  This means she'll be gone for a minimum of 6-7 months.

In 6-7 months I'm aiming to have Empowered Clubhouse up and running.

This doesn't work, her leaving and me doing this on my own... that's not a partnership.  

I really thought we had a wicked thing -- her the pro bodybuilder and me the pro fighter.  It even grew on me her being the badass pregnant mom training hard because I definitely saw that as being so inspiring to others.  She would have killed so many stereotypes and misconceptions surrounding pregnancy and training.  That would have been awesome.

I know her being pregnant changes things for her, that's totally understandable and I respect that, but it honestly changes nothing for me.  I'm still hungry to get this started, I'm super hungry.  I want this more than anything and more than ever.  Time ticking by is only feeding me more and making me more anxious and more eager.  I can't wait till she comes back but I also can't move this forward if I do this partnership alone.  The picking, the signing and the designing of the location.  The promo ads, pictures and interviews.  Those are just a few of the many things but they're big things.  It'd be one thing if she were pregnant but in the country, it's a whole other thing that she's wanting to be out of the country.  

So now I'm back to doing this alone.  The realization of this today was hard and upsetting but it is what it is.  I'm a firm believer that everything happens for a reason and that universe works on it's own accord, regardless of how you try to predict the future by making your own conscious choices.  Now to see where this brings me.  I have a meeting with a fellow female entrepreneur I know and I'm growing more and more impressed with how badass her hustle and grind is.  The meeting is on Thursday and I know she'll definitely help me to refocus and keep things up a few needed notches.  She's hungry for success, I know it, she knows it, and anyone else who knows her knows it.  Now to hear what her advice for me is.

No comments: