As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Another for the Books... Tuesday, February 20

Took an elbow to the head during my sixth round of padwork with Coach Bogs and down I went.  All curled up in a ball, with my hands over my head, I stayed there laughing uncontrollably but in so much pain.  What had happened was Coach Bogs yelled for me to weave and I leaned too forward before leaning and CRASH, into his elbow my head went.

I crashed to the ground holding my head and Coach Bogs jumped away grasping his elbow.

And just like that padwork was o-v-e-r!!!

I continued on to do my heavy bag work and then abs but my head was throbbing.  I could feel the skin on my head tightening up, it hurt whenever I raised my eyebrows, so I knew a bump was forming.  

By the time I finished boxing and reached Hernandez Boxing for coaching, a bump had formed.

I ran into Coach Hernandez and he told me to prolong sleep. "Try to go to bed later tonight", he said.  Nothing like the fear of falling asleep and dying to keep you up at night... wow.  

A minor head concussion on a Tuesday, add that to the stories not to tell my dad.

No comments: