As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Sunday, February 04, 2018

BoxHIIT is Launched... Sunday, February 4

9 were signed up as "going", 4 were "maybe", but only 3 showed up.

The Philippines is full of "want-to's" and "going to" but the follow through is brutal.

The three that showed up arrived early and arrived with big smiles and much anticipation.  I apologised to them for the others who had bailed, for whatever reason, and then apologised that I didn't bring my gloves like I could have, would have and should have had I known I'd be training such a small group.

I am committed to those who commit to me, those who show up and don't give up.  So I was 100% all about those three tonight.  Mark my words though, next time it's just these three particular ladies I will most definitely pull out my boxing gear and do padwork with them -- give them a personal training boxing lesson that others will be left kicking themselves for missing out on.  

I wasn't upset that only 3 showed up, that was fine.  The training was really great and I got them working up quite a sweat.  I was upset however that this is free training that I'm offering and many others had signed up and even had gone as far to personally message me numerous times to confirm this and that question they had.  That's what bothered me.  That was rude of them.  But was it going to distract me from training those three and having fun?  No.  I gave those no-shows a couple of minutes, to see if they were just running late, and then, just like that, they weren't given any extra attention beyond me typing about it here.

Tonight was the first night of BoxHIIT in the Park, a free training session that incorporates boxing and high intensity interval training (HIIT).  I planned it that there'd be minimal equipment needed.  I did use small 1lb dumbbells though and let me tell you, it was a lot of "fun" carrying 12lbs in my bag over my one shoulder. 

The workout lasted about an hour and my participants were super sweaty at the end.  Sweaty and happy, sweaty and proud, sweaty but still smiley.  They all were super excited about training with me and so they thanked me with high fives and hugs.  That was super sweet.  

The plan is to continue coaching BoxHIIT in the park for free.  I'm only asking participants to follow Empowered Clubhouse and me (IG: DeadAimAmy) on Instagram.  Today I had those three who joined me sign a paper I had with me, it's an email list I'm starting.  Always thinking about the next step and later I'll need those emails for Empowered.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LOVE This! My trainer has had similar frustrating experiences. But I believe good things happen to good people. You training them for free is awesome!!! Big love~ @marydeegetsfit