As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Friday, February 23, 2018

Their Mistake, My Pain... Friday, February 23

Am still off training, nursing my head concussion.  Am going rather stir crazy here in the apartment though, trying to "rest".

What is rest anyways?!  

I'm an entrepreneur.  There is no rest for us.  Our brains are always in overdrive, seriously.

I was hoping to go into the boxing club today for training but I'm definitely sporting the symptoms of a head concussion.  I did however get out for my morning business meeting... then I spent the rest of the day consumed with the reality of what went down with that.

I can't get the space for Empowered.

As it turns out, that space should never have been offered to me because what I'm opening is not a bar or restaurant and that's what all those spaces on that side of that particular building have been designated for.  The property developer came across this on Tuesday, the fact that my broker had offered it to my business.  I know the property developer, we talk every week and that's who I sat down with today for my meeting actually.  

Megaworld is the property developer.  

They're super supportive of my business and are quite interested in it.  They offered me a space in McKinley and then today we met to talk about the other space that was offered to me.  I definitely took one for the team there, hearing her break the disappointing news to me and it made me so frustrated.  Things were definitely lost in communication between MegaWorld and the broker and consequently that became my problem.  I've already had my architect start the designing of the space and she's almost done.

It was a long 2km walk home, not wanting to call up my broker and scream out in frustration.

I emailed them.  They didn't respond.  They screwed up and the urge to call them out and blast them for it is real but I'm going to be the bigger person and just leave them to karma.  I have too much to say to even begin to know where to start.  Seriously.  Big mistake, big... HUGE.  

Wow.  

Moving forward...

I had told myself before though, that if this space didn't go through that it wasn't meant to be then.  I remember when we were fighting for a particular space for Hulk's, and I mentioned this before, we fought for months on end.  It was so exhausting and I cried a lot over it but then we stumbled across another space and, just like that, a few days later it was ours.  It would have been ours that very day but it was a weekend and we had to wait till the bank and whatnot opened on the following Monday.  

So it wasn't meant to be.

I still have the space that MegaWorld offered me so the plan is to go back and re-evaluate it.  Bring my architect there again and then go from there.  It's not a bad space, it's just a preferred the other one to this.  

Urghhhhh... I just want to start this already.  

The struggle is real but the frustrations right now are real high.

No comments: