As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Friday, March 02, 2018

Happy Anniversary... Friday, March 2

Ironically, it was Independence Day in Korea yesterday but today, here in the Philippines, I celebrated my own personal kind of Independence Day.  This day one year ago I landed here in the Philippines, with all my training gear, Balboa and Skittles, ready for three months of intense boxing training.

A year later and I'm still here.  Still here and not anticipating ever living anywhere else.

I do love life in the Philippines.  I love my life here.  Life for me is so different here in the Philippines because life in general is so different here.  For me, it's not easier and it's not simpler, but it's happier and I feel more grateful towards it and everyone in it, in my life. 

Do I ever think I'll move back to Canada?  No.

Do I ever think I'll want to move back to Canada?  No.

This is my home.

I miss Canada because of the people in it but I don't miss what Canada became when I was in Korea.  I think it's a rather spoiled country, to tell you the truth.  Spoiled and rather uptight.  Everyone is sensitive about something or another and heaven help you don't walk on eggshells when saying something about politics, religion or race.  

Canada has it good but I think they have it so good they don't even know it.

Sometimes when I think things are hard for me here, I remind myself things could be much worse.  I could be still in Korea.  Korea will always represent the hardest times of my life but I'm grateful for that.  They keep my perspective in check.  It took me to go through those hard times to really appreciate the good times.  When I went from living in Korea to living in Canada, life didn't get easier, it got more complicated and cluttered.  Then, when I went from Canada to the Philippines, it's as if I had to declutter my life and live off only the "bare bones" of the life, the lives, I use to live.  

No comments: