As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Friday, March 23, 2018

On a Crazy High... Friday, March 23

If Wednesdays was a low than today was a high, a higher than high.  

I had gone in today to training hoping that I wouldn't run into anyone so I got there in the early afternoon.  And no one was there except Coach Arnold, sitting ringside, playing with his phone.  Then some other Filipino guy came in and sat with him.  I noticed him continually looking over at me but thought nothing of it until he got up and approached me.  I was shadow boxing when he approached me and a little frustrated that he approached me during the round.  In the brief intro conversation that we had, as short as it was, I had some how managed to put my foot in his mouth when I asked him if he was a part of the Philippine National Boxing Team.  Turns out not only is he a pro but he's a world champion.  Wow.  Holy extra large piece of humble pie for me, please.  

Next thing I knew it he was stepping into the ring with the pads on his hands and calling me in.

I went four rounds with him on the pads and then after he disected a bit of my heavy bag work.  It was definitely out of my comfort zone to be training with a boxer of his level but it was so very cool.  He's trained all over the world, with some of the big names too like Pacquiao and Mayweather.  

I left the boxing club today feeling like I was on top of the world, like everything was sunshine, lollipops and rainbows.

And if my high from boxing wasn't enough, I then coached a wickedly fun company BoxHIIT class.

Nothing quite makes me happy like boxing. Whether it's me training or me coaching, I love boxing and it makes me happy. So when I was asked to make the hike out to Quezon City to host an Empowered BoxHIIT session for a company, I was definitely down for it!  I hosted the class right at their office, in their boardroom actually, so we stalked the tables and got rid of the chairs.  I taught them all how to put handwraps on and then we started the workout I had planned for them.  They were totally awesome sports about it so we giggled as much as we sweated, that's for sure.  The class was a big hit and while packing up my gear to leave and go home, I was approached and asked if I'd do this more on the regular.  I would, I definitely would, and the fact that they paid me was super sweet.

No comments: