As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Friday, April 06, 2018

Business IS Personal... Friday, April 6

I was told some bad news today that perhaps I took too personal and shouldn't have got upset about but then someone said to me, "you take things too personal", and that really ticked me off.

Of course I take things personal -- I take business personal.  I didn't drop all my plans of starting my business in Canada or the notion of going back to Korea to fight for Hulk's for nothing.  This, building Empowered, is my passion and it's my passion that I'm fighting to turn into a paycheck because I believe it what it has to offer, I believe in the ripple effect it has the potential to make, and I believe in the impact it'll have.  I'm not launching Empowered to make crazy money.  Money has never been a driving force in what I do.  No one gets rich off of making a boxing club, or a clubhouse as in the case of Empowered.  They do it because they love the sport, because they want to build a community and give back to the community by which they helped to make stronger.

So ya, I do take my business personal because it's what I love.  I wouldn't fight for anything I didn't love and this clubhouse, Empowered, I'm fighting like hell to launch it and make it successful.

My business is my passion, so my business is my pleasure and my pleasure is my business.

No comments: