As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Friday, April 13, 2018

Down for the Count... Friday, April 13

Friday the 13th and I'm sick.  Totally not connected and not totally true.  I'm injured, not sick.

I always feel the repercussions of sparring the day after.

Today is that day.

Today I feel it.

Yesterday's fourth round kidney shot, yup.  I definitely woke up feeling it today.  I got up, felt nauseous, struggled to down most of my breakfast, and then was TKO for the rest of the day.  

I didn't box, I didn't weight train... I didn't eat.

The closest I got to being able to stomach food was half of my breakfast and then an Extreme Juice from the street market in the evening.  When I'm not feeling good, I crave fruit and juice like a pregnant lady... seriously.  That Extreme Juice tasted so damn good but with not having anything in my belly since the day before, I inhaled it and then spent the rest of the evening feeling like a bloated whale... a bloated beached whale.

At this point, I really don't have time to nurse an injury and when you've got not only training for a fight plus the launching of your business to juggle, the struggles instantly multiply.  I just had no energy to do anything except lay there on my right side.  I stuck to bouncing from the couch to the bed, responding to business emails and doing other business dealings via my cell, and then I watched a ton of YouTube videos for my boxing training.  Podcasts helped me pass the time but then I'd go to get up and the pain of using my obliques to get off the bed or couch then kept me down.  

No comments: