As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Thursday, April 12, 2018

Kidney Shot... Thursday, April 12

Sparring in the morning lead to no training at night.

I took an illegal blow to the kidney in the forth round and thought nothing of it beyond calling Coach Bogs out on it right after it happened. It hurt but that kind of comes with getting punched and today we sparred. My pain tolerance is quite high but it wasn't until I was walking home that I really started to feel that punch. My left side was hurting and I felt a bit nauseous. 

Upon getting home, showering and eating, I then took Balboa to The Refined. It was there and then I really started to feel that punch. I sat down as all the staff crowded Balboa and tried to pick him up. I thought I was going to puke, I was so nauseous, and so I sat there for longer than anticipated.

Finally got up and went home. 

Later in the evening I returned to The Refined, to work on Empowered and bounce ideas around, but I was struggling to focus. I must have starred at the screen for about an hour, trying to ponder the wording on something that on any other day I'm sure I would have thought up quite easily.

Today's sparring was really good though. Super intense in some moments and perhaps a little harder than anticipated hits but it was good. Coach Bogs is usually an Orthadox fighter but he's also a very good South Paw so with my potential opponent being a South Paw, I asked him to step in as that today. It wasn't as frustrating as anticipated however so I was quite relieved with that. I've been doing a lot of mental and image training at home, researching South Paws and whatnot, so I'd like to think I stepped into today's sparring more prepared than I thought. Bonus.

No comments: