As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Monday, June 25, 2018

Restart and Resuming... Monday, June 25

I don't hate on Mondays like most people because they're a much needed relief after what feels like a "weekend freeze".  By weekend freeze I'm referring to the fact that many of the companies and business associates I deal with often refuse to do any work on the weekend, they totally freeze, and they don't restart until Monday.  Monday morning comes a rush of responses from business emails and whatnot.  Business dealings resume.  

Today was a rainy Monday though so in addition to getting soaked at one point, I also got stuck under a roof in hopes of the inevitable -- getting soaked.  It was either risk damaging my gear and falling flat on my face if I ran and slipped, or stay stuck under the tiny roof I found shelter under.  That tiny roof was none other then that of Ringside, a midget boxing bar with questionable dealings.  I don't know if the boxers strip or whatever but it's not boxing as you and I both know it.  Anyways, I decided to wait out the rain and in return I stayed dry but I also got lots of looks from passer byers curiously looking at me and wondering if I was one of Ringside's "lady boxers".  

I was scheduled to coach one of my personal training clients but she ended up sleeping through her alarm clock so I showed up extra early at boxing.

After boxing I did a lot of work on Empowered, not only with the website but with responding to my suppliers, clients and business emails.  A few more ladies signed up for my BoxHIIT Bootcamp that starts in July and one potential personal training client reached out to me regarding one-to-one boxing conditioning.  

There's a lot of background work that goes into running Empowered and right now I'm a one-woman team.  I have my incorporators, sponsors, investors, business associates, and my business mentor, but often more than not I feel like I'm running Empowered entirely on my own.  This past weekend KMC gave me homework for the next mentoring program and so now I have to come up with a survey and interview random strangers.  I have to interview at least 20 and I grinding my teeth and pulling my hair at the thought of doing it.  I tried to go out today to ask strangers my questions but it was raining.  Mother Nature had other plans so I stayed home and worked on my Empowered website.

In the evening I hit the gym for leg training.  Lots of squats and resistance band training, I love it but I know I'm going to feel it tomorrow.  Klean Athlete says I won't though if I take their recovery shake so I took that.  I pushed it extra hard too on legs with running the stairs back to my condo after killing it on functional weight training.  We'll see tomorrow morning just how true to their words Klean Athlete is.  I'm optimistic that they'll prove themselves right but I don't know, 38 flights of stairs kind of killed my legs.

No comments: