As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Thursday, July 05, 2018

Just Doing Me... Thursday, July 5

No one is me and that's my superpower.  Likewise, no one is you and that's YOUR superpower.

I'll be me and you be you.

I had a walk through Terra 28th today, the park where not too long ago I was hosting my Empowered BoxHIIT sessions for free every Sunday night.  Every week people would sign up online and then every Sunday this person or that person would bail.  Some had legit reasons, others had excuses, while few just had no manners and didn't even say anything until I messaged them about their absence.

My days of coaching for free are over and now those who could have been coached by me for free can't either afford to pay me or I'm not accepting them as a client.  I have said no to three personal client offers, one of which offered to pay me three times the pay.  But I'm willing wake up extra early in the morning for one particular client and walk an hour out of my way for another.  I know my worth and they respect that so I in return have given them my undivided attention.  I'm not here to train people who want to size me up as if I'm their competition and that's what it has become for one particular female who once came to my free BoxHIIT sessions to test my knowledge and stretch my patience.  I'm not here to compete with anyone because I know what I bring to the table and I know my worth.  I know what traveling to 6 different countries to box, boxing in 19 different boxing clubs and have been coached by 29 boxing coaches got me.  It got me plenty of experience and an increased passion for the sport of boxing.  

I am a boxer and I'm not anyone's competition.  I'm doing my own thing.  I'm doing me.

No comments: