As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Monday, July 16, 2018

Training with Coach Marcelo... Monday, July 16

Today's workout at the boxing club was with Coach Marcelo on account that Coach Adamson is in Cebu, visiting family.  Both coaches have their strengths and different approaches to coaching their fighters but Coach Marcelo is definitely a more hands-on and directive coach.  He tends to tell his fighters what they should be doing and he likes to guide them along the way.  For example, when I'm warming up on the spinning bike, he then tells me what I'm to do next, where I'm to do it, and for how many rounds.  

After spinning, he told me to do four rounds of shadow boxing in the ring.


BOXING TRAINING = 24 rounds
4 rounds spinning
4 rounds shadow boxing
4 rounds padwork with Coach Marcelo
3 rounds speedbag
2 rounds target padwork with Coach Marcelo
4 rounds heavy bag work
3 rounds light shadow boxing

AB TRAINING = 900 reps total
100 reps x 3 sets of double leg lifts
100 reps x 3 sets of crunches
100 reps x 3 sets of bicycles

The ab training was definitely his idea.  He likes to downplay it when he's telling me what he wants me to do.  "Just three exercises", he said, "only hundred reps each... just times three".  'Only' and 'just'?!  Those words don't quite fit when you're telling someone they'll be doing 900 reps.

Three hours later, I finally left the boxing club.  I might not be able to laugh for a week because of that ab workout and I almost drowned in my own sweat, but I did it.  

No comments: