As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Monday, August 20, 2018

Unexpected Awesomeness... Monday, August 20

Today a man, whom I've never met, reached out to me about his children, whom I've also have never met.  They want to help me with my Lil' Sistas Project.  I've talked to their father before, the man, but it was just via Facebook messenger.  We know some common people but have never actually met face-to-face and he's not in the Philippines right now nor are his kids.  Correction, his young teenagers.

He told me about how his two teens have been following my journey via social media and have come to learn about my Lil' Sistas Project.  They have quite the survival story themselves and give to charity but they apparently are particularly interested in helping the Lil' Sistas Project.  I thought them helping out meant they'd buy a Lil' Sista Hoodie or Empowered Cap but, as it turns out, they want to donate a chunk of their own personal savings.

[This is where you melt right here, just like how I did when I read it.]

Honestly, I was so thrown off and so touched; I could have cried.  

Not a lot of people have been buying my Lil' Sista Hoodies or Empowered Caps so raising money has been hard and it's been discouraging but I haven't given up.  I've had a lot of people offer to volunteer or companies offer random things but right now my goal is really raising money so I can get them boxing gloves and then take them to a boxing club.  I really want to wow these girls and make them feel fierce and unstoppable.  I want to build up their confidence and give them hope, and that's exactly what boxing has done for me.  It's also a means of stress relief for many of them as well as a means of getting out their aggression and getting them to harness their emotions and power.

Later this week these two teenagers are going to be calling me.  They asked if they could call me and I'm absolutely flattered and thrilled with their request.  Now if only I could figure out how to reach them through the phone and give them a big, grand hug.

Faith in humanity, definitely renewed.  Thank you Boss Dad, H and T!!!

No comments: