As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Wednesday, October 24, 2018

An OMG Moment... Wednesday, October 25

With Halloween being next week and two Halloween parties for me to attend, I've been picking my brain about what to dress up as, what to dress up in.  For the most part, all my clothes are either training clothes or jeans and simple tank tops, so it's not like my pool of clothes thrives with any kind of creativity.  

"I know", I told Skittles, "we can be a dead bride and groom"!

I know a most unusual store here in BGC that sells everything strange and deranged thing under the sun that you could possibly want.  From hockey helmets and couches, to automatic apple peelers and ash trays shaped as women, this store has it all.  It's inventory is as spontanious as anything you could ever imagine but I have seen wedding dresses there.  Today I went to go try them on but there was only one.

Did someone actually buy the other one?!  Things that make you go hmmm...

I asked the lady about the price of it and then started to slip into it, pulling it up over my clothes.  The sales lady was sweet in trying to help me into it but I think she was under the impression that I was actually buying this for a wedding.  She insisted she help me do up the corset back and I kept on telling her it was okay, afterall I had pulled the dress over my clothes and that included an Adidas sports jacket. 

"This is for Halloween,... this is for Halloween!" I kept telling her.

So there I was, a white foreign woman trying on this wedding dress with it's massive train that stretched a good five fee out from it, standing in the middle of the main isle with all the staff and other shoppers looking at me.  Skittles sat there snapping pictures of me and giggled as I wiggled around in this dress in embarrassment. 

I might go back to buy the dress.  Not sure yet.

It's kind of pricy for a Halloween costume though it's embarrassingly low if you were to actually buy this for your wedding.  None the less, I decided to do some online wedding dress searches.  Lazada had a whack of wedding dresses, half of which I assumed would be super cheaply made and questionable to wear but that was okay by me.  Most of them come from China though and I can't afford to wait 6-12 business days so that was a no go.  Then I had this "great" idea to look on the marketplace on Facebook.  I typed "wedding dress" into the search and up popped numerous dresses.  I found some really cheap dresses, ones that were way prettier and way cheaper than the one I had tried on earlier, but when I responded to some ads and got into a couple of conversations with the sellers, I couldn't do it.  The sellers were the former brides themselves, selling their personal wedding dress, and I couldn't bring myself to tell them what I was using it for.

"Ya, I want to buy your wedding dress, splatter fake blood on it, cut it up, and wear it as a Halloween costume", hmmm... no.  I didn't know who these former brides were but they're people and I didn't have the heart to buy the dress they wore on their most sacred day and then kill it.  I'd feel terrible if they ever caught a glimpse of it online.  I may be considered cold and tough but that's just mean and cruel.  So perhaps I might have to buy that oversized wedding dress I tried on from the store today.

No comments: