As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Sunday, October 21, 2018

Checking My Spirit... Sunday, October 21

The more I continue forward with my business, Empowered, the more and more I feel the need to make sure I'm addressing all areas of my health -- mind, body and spirit.  Yesterday's visit to the Center of Hope was a lot for me to digest and I'm super eager to jump in and get involved but it's intense.  I really have to mentally and emotionally prepare myself for coaching their girls, including them in the Lil' Sista Project.

I wonder if their fearless and strong leader, Cecilia, is a religious lady.  I want to know where she gets her strength from because it's admirable and I don't think you could take on a role as such if you weren't mentally and emotionally strong.  I'm convinced she may very well have the biggest heart of all the people I've ever met in the world.  She is #rolemodelgoals ...wow.

I've been attending a church here in BGC, Victory.  It's a smaller church and I'm familiar with one of the pastors outside of the church; he goes to The Refined.  Right now, I'm still struggling with not comparing it to Grant African Church in Toronto and expecting to get out of it what I got from Grant.  But slowly and surely I'm becoming more comfortable with Victory and accepting it for what it is, different... not Grant.  I'm a hard one to please though because they always try to be so friendly with me at Victory and I don't really like meeting new people.  I've been avoiding this via showing up late and zipping out right when the service concludes.  I'm so anti-social, I know.  Outside of boxing, Empowered and my Lil' Sista Project, I really do stick to myself and avoid extra socializing.  

Anyways, I'm working on becoming more spiritually strong.

I don't consider myself to be very religious but I do think you need to check yourself and figure out what you do believe in, whether that's God, Mother Mary, Buddha or whatever.  I believe in God and though I find that makes sense of things to me, it's really your personal choice as to what you choose to believe in.  My only request would be for others to figure out what they believe in because I think it's important to question things and not just take things at face value.  If being healthy is a mind, body and spirit thing, than how are you addressing your spirit?

No comments: