As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Thursday, October 11, 2018

I'm a Size What?!... Thursday, October 11

What’s size anyways, right?!

I wrote about this on Facebook, the first part of the story that is, but then I went back to the sales lady so here’s the full story...

I was having a good day until in between coaching and meetings I ran into a store and randomly bought jeans.

"You're a large", the store lady said, "yes, definitely a large." ...so I bought a medium. 

In Canada I’m a small or an extra small, in Korea I’m a “free size” or a medium, but how could I go from that to being a large?! I’ve never been a large in my life.

Turns out she was right... (what, are these children sizes?!)

I was so annoyed that she had suggested a large and how she had thrown in the words “yes, definitely” into the mix. I mean, what did she think I was?! I workout.

The fact that I was so annoyed got me curious though. What is size anyways and why do we become so fixated on it? The size of your jeans really isn’t a reflection or indicator of how healthy you are or aren’t. It’s just your body size.

Later tonight I returned and that sales lady greeted me with a I-knew-you’d-be-back kind of smile. "I told you you’d be a large!”, she said, “they are boyfriend style”, she added.  Convinced that I wasn’t going to let this get me annoyed like it had before and realizing that size really is just nothing more than a number, or in my case a word, I decided to make light of the situation. The sales lady really didn’t care what size I was, she was only trying to give me a size that fit me right. Only I cared. 

“Oh, then if that’s the case, if they’re boyfriend style, I’ll take an extra large… I don’t like small guys, I like the big boys!” …so I bought an extra large.

Turns out I actually bought an extra, extra large!!!

No comments: