As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Friday, October 12, 2018

"You" is Me... Friday, October 12

I'm a firm believer that things don't "just" happen; things happen because you make them happen.  Whether it be because of your conscious effort or a reaction or a consequence to an action you did, you put into motion what has come to pass so you can put into motion what you want to come in the future.  Ultimately, it comes down to you and your decisions and, consequently, because I believe this, I've never been one to sit around and wait for things to happen, people to get back to me, or whatnot.

I was already "embracing the suck" today with this week not panning out as I had hoped and with it being Friday.  And while most people love Fridays, I don't.  Fridays remind me of all the things I didn't do that I had hoped to do and they remind me of all the business calls, business dealings and business meetings that won't go down because most people shut off on the weekend.  

I had filled up my to-do list of things I wanted to accomplish today and it totalled 15 -- that's how I usually spend my Fridays.  Loading up on things that I didn't get done during the week and going strong into the weekend because I want to stay focused.

After I finished my morning coaching, before I headed off to boxing, I ducked into a little coffee shop to caffeinate myself; to check myself.  I needed to refocus and drop the suck.  It's hard being an entrepreneur, most people have no idea what it means to be one.  Sure I work for myself and by myself but not really.  My grind and hustle can only take me so far and do so much for my business because I'm still dependent on others, like a real estate broker that won't give me exact details, a supplier who is late on their shipment, and an investor who is on the fence.  All these "forced delays" really got to me today and it started to really cloud my thinking and bring me down.  I figured a jolt of caffiene would perk me up and I'd be good to go for boxing.

I had told Coach Marcelo earlier in the week that I might spar on Friday.  I had said "might" because when I said it to him my week was already experiencing hick-ups.  Honestly, I wanted nothing more than to ditch boxing today, not spar, and instead go home, curl up on the bed with my two little four-legged boys, and shut out the rest of the world.

I didn't though.  Before hitting the boxing club, I sat in that coffee shop and made some important phone calls, sent some business emails and texted, and pretty much forced some forward movement regarding Empowered.  I can't wait on others involved to make things happen.  Things happen because you make them happen but "you" is argumentative.  "You" can be both singular and plural, as in you guys or you, Amy.  Today "you" was definitely singular as so it should be more times than not if I really want to propel Empowered forward and keep this ball rolling.

No comments: