As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Thursday, November 29, 2018

Bad News at the Club... Thursday, November 29

Originally Coach Marcelo's fight was sent for the end of November, then it was changed to December 7th and then to December 21st. 

Today it was cancelled.

I can't even begin to express how frustrated I am for him and how disappointed I am too. If only us boxers were left to fight in the ring instead of fighting the politics of it outside of the ring. It's a messy game. Messy and dirty but it's not just here in the Philippines where it's like that. I experienced it in Korea and in Japan, and I know of it in Canada too.

It's a hard pill to swallow.  To have trained for a fight and then to have to accept it's been canceled. 

Recently I got Skittles, the CEO of The Refined, to personally sponsor Coach Marcelo.  Marcelo is this amazingly talented fighter who trains hard, coaches hard, and just loves fighting.  He's always nothing but super positive and man can that coach really kill you at training.  To hear that his fight was canceled though, wow, I felt so bad for him.  He seemed okay with it but I wasn't.

No comments: