As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Thursday, November 15, 2018

Better Get Learning... Thursday, November 15

Rugby training tonight meant training with the male rugby team.

Lady Mavericks, the female team, had traveled off to Pasig to train with another all-female team but that was at 7pm-9pm and being that this is the Philippines and traffic is absolutely bonkers, they left around 5:30pm.  I wasn't able to leave that early.  Instead, I met up with one of my teammates and we headed off to McKinley for our usual Thursday night, 8pm-10pm, rugby practice.  Minus the other girls that is.

Training with the guys was much different.  I think I learned a lot more, mind you it's also because they explained everything to me in English and those who were on my team, they kept on directing me on what to do.  I missed playing with the girls but it was quite educational to play with the guys. 

Both the girls and guys are equally as intimidating to me though, being that I'm a newbie.

There's one or two guys on the guys team that gets way too serious and too competitive, I'm talking about swearing and cursing people out.  I get competitive too but not like that so I was just hoping I wasn't on their team.  I got lucky; I wasn't!

Turns out my team is more legit than I originally thought.  They have a club van!  Ya, it's true.  They even have a driver that gathers the gear and takes pictures if we ask him too.  When I was packing up my own stuff to leave, after training, I was asked if I was taking the club van.  I didn't know we had one.  Apparently we do and so ya, of course I took it back.  Sure beat walking.  It dropped me right down the street from my block, sweet!

This Saturday we have a tournament.  The Lady Mavericks will be playing here in BGC, three games, and it'll be my first touch rugby game ever.  My first rugby game ever.  I'm not going to lie, I'm pretty nervous.  I don't even know all the rules yet.  Time to Goggle the hell out of that!!!

No comments: