As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Saturday, November 17, 2018

Game On... Saturday, November 17th

I'm not going to lie here or try to act real cool.  Today I was super nervous.  I was as nervous as I was excited though because today I had my very first rugby game; it was a tournament.  We had three games to play and call time was 9:30am.  I stayed there from 9:30am to about 5pm and played all three games.  Each game was only 40 minutes so it meant we had about 2 hours to kill in between each game.  

I was nervous not only because it was my first game but because I know my teammates are good.  I also knew I was by far the most inexperienced and newest member on the field, having only picked up rugby about a month ago.  A month ago I never had even so much as touched a rugby ball yet there I was today, putting on a jersey for a women's rugby team here in the Philippines. 

I just didn't want to let my team down, be the weakest link, or have them regret adding me to their team.

We won the first and last game but lost the second.

For me, I'd like to forget the second game and not because we lost but because of how it ended.

We were already losing but with something like 10 seconds left to the game, the opposing team came racing in my side of the field.  I was watching the far wing and it was the next wing that had the ball when I suddenly took my eyes off my wing and went for her instead.  She then passed the ball to the wing I was suppose to be guarding and off she sprinted down the field.  She scored.  We were already down several points so in actuality that one point didn't do anything but to end the game on that mistake and for them to end on such a high note, it hurt.  I then had two hours to kill in between games so I sat there digesting humble pie and trying to shake it off.  I knew no one would remember it and no one really cared.  Like I said, we were already losing the game, but I remembered and I cared.  Used it as fuel for the last game and we won that one.  Perfect.

No comments: