As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Wednesday, November 21, 2018

My Mess Ups... Wednesday, November 21

To be an “empowered woman” means to have the confidence to really own who and what you are and that’s exactly what my company, Empowered Clubhouse, is founded on. Empowered aims to make a community of strong, empowered women by enabling women to become more empowered and “health happy” via physical training opportunities like boxing and functional weight training, as well as socials, seminars and a network hub of businesses and services. Empowered women empower women but we also empower little girls, our Lil’ Sistas, through our Lil’ Sistas Project -- a community outreach project for underprivileged girls, many of which are orphans, runaways or human sex trafficking survivors. 

Okay, so that's my rainbows and unicorns, pretty company overview but what about my f-ups?

My f-ups with launching Empowered…

1. Moving too fast.
2. Taking directions from those who have never been where I wanted to go.
3. Taking on the wrong partner.
4. Expecting it to go like how my other businesses went in Korea. 
5. Selling myself short with my price point and in offering free bootcamps.
6. Doing "bootcamps" as oppose to focusing on my sport, boxing... like BoxHIIT.
7. Having such a set idea with how I thought it’d be.

I think my biggest f-up was with having such a stubborn idea on how I thought my business should be and mapping it out accordingly. I’m all about goals and planning things, so when things didn’t work out and I was forced to adapt, it was really hard to accept. I had to be flexible or risk breaking.  Now a year later, my company is nothing like how I first envisioned it to be but I’m more than happy for that. The company vision is still the same but the execution of it is so different and it’s taken on this whole new humanitarian path that I'm loving.
--> -->

No comments: