As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Sunday, November 18, 2018

One or the Other... Sunday, November 18

A massive WBC convention that was going down here in the Philippines occurred this past weekend and 9 world champion fighters came in for this massive female boxing event.  

I was supposed to go. 

I didn't go.

I had rugby in the morning and then, while leaving rugby with some of my teammates, we got discussing my dilemma.  I had been invited to the WBC event but I had also been invited to a baby's christening ceremony.  Prior to rugby practice today, I had decided to go to the world boxing event.  There were going to be some lectures, many world champion female boxers to mingle with and meet, and then there were going to be several live bouts tonight.  At the baby ceremony, there would just be one little baby as the highlight of the show.

I went to the baby christening ceremony.

I went because it was family and the couple who's baby it was is special to me.  I don't consider myself to be close with many people here really but this couple is close to me, important to me, and I already am bad at not participating in life outside of my boxing and business.  I'm missing out on a lot of life trying to make myself a life, I know that.

The ceremony was in the back room of a church out of town and then they had a beautiful dinner at this Spanish restaurant where some musicians entertained us and I dined on quite the feast of delish food.  

I had made the right decision.

No comments: