As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Wednesday, November 28, 2018

VIA Startup Summit... Wednesday, November 28

My one minute speech went well over a minute but honestly, I wasn't so concerned with that.  

I was overly prepared for it but then my focus went out the roof went the person responsible for popping up my presentation screens wasn't ready and started my presentation on a disorderly note.  And then I stood too close to the screen and, well, it was like a flat screen TV in that if you stand too close you can't actually see anything from the side view.

In my head, I bombed my presentation.  I just didn't do it justice.  But I went into today's presentation not caring about it because I already love my business and totally believe 100% in what it stands for.  Turns out that I did care about the presentation though and I found this out as I stumbled on my opening words with my presentation, struggling to refocus.  

But now it's over.  

I didn't win the best improved startup of the Space for Ingenious but I already knew I wasn't going to win.  The winner was rather obvious.  I also didn't think that KMC really knew me and my business well enough to make a fair judgement call either and that was to blame on both our parts.  I didn't use their space beyond my Tuesday BoxHIIT Camp and I didn't use their mentors.  They didn't really assign us mentors though so things were unclear and confused from the get-go.  If I were to give them one recommendation, something that would have changed EVERYTHING for me, it would have been assigning a mentor.  I didn't expect to meet a mentor that was in the fitness and health industry but it would have been so beneficial to me to have someone check in on me, even if it were just once a week.  Something there for me to pick their brain about because I have a ton of questions and concerns about business-related things that really aren't specifically directed towards my industry like how to go about protecting my intellectual property and legalities like taxes and how to go about getting my company to sponsor me for a work visa. 

Today's event really got me thinking about just how far my company has come, whether or not it's grown so much and whether or not I've changed.  I think Empowered has grown.  I know it's definitely taken on a new humanitarian path with the launch of the Lil' Sistas Project.  My coaching for Empowered went from free BoxHIIT and bootcamps in the park for whomever signed up to making a cut off number for how many personal training clients I'll take on.  No more free classes, the only "free" classes I do are for the Lil' Sistas, and my clients are all amazingly strong career-focused women -- boss babes.

I stayed the entire day for the event and ended up being approached by numerous people all interested in learning more about Empowered.  It was very motivating to be questioned about it and it was even more motivating to be asked for a personal media interview at the end.  I got some key names and numbers out of the event and even Skittles showed up to show some support.  

No comments: