As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Saturday, December 08, 2018

Just Rolling My Eyes On This... Saturday, December 8

I had sparring today, 6 three minute rounds with Coach Marcelo.  

In the ring, I thought I was confident.  Challenged but confident.  Better than before, but still rather flat footed and not using my angles as much.  Outside of the ring, watching my sparring on playback, it was a different story.  I was disappointed.

We're always our worst critic and I am no different.  I see my flaws in my sparring and humbly question if there were more I didn't actually pick out.  I see where I should have kept my guard up higher, where I totally ate the punches thrown at me instead of protecting myself or coming back with a counter punch, and where I could have, should have, and would have landed a clean punch if only I didn't hesitate. 

I am my worst critic.  I don't need another critic either.  I'm hard enough on myself, thanks.

And then there are those on Instagram, volunteer critics, who want to pick out my flaws and critique me even harder than I critique myself.  I may be hard on myself but they're malicious, cruel, crude, and rude.  

Haters are going to hate.

I have a fight coming up, many people now know and many haters now know too.  News of my fight is bringing out more fans but it's also bringing out more haters and with Christmas just around the corner, I'm getting more hater mail than tis-the-season Christmas mail.  I might not get one Christmas card this year because card-giving isn't really a thing here and my friends and family don't know my address here in the Philippines, but I definitely have already gotten my share of hater mail, almost on the daily.

I don't know why people hate.  Correction, I know why they hate, they have many reasons.  From hating on people's success, doing it out of unhappiness and due to their own insecurities, but I don't know what's the purpose of it.  Is there really a purpose or is it just to put down someone, to belittle someone.  Are they just venting or do they actually feel good when they do it?  I don't know.  I've never publicly hated anyone.  Sure, I've had my reserved comments and dislikes for certain people, we all have, but we learnt back in elementary school that bullying others is just mean; it's wrong.  But where did we forget that lesson and think it's okay to do it on social media to random strangers?  I can't say I've ever met a hater and that's the thing that gets me.  First get to know me and then decide if you do or you don't like me.  Wouldn't that be the more logical thing to do?  That's only common sense but, then again, common sense isn't so common these days.  

No comments: