As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Friday, November 30, 2018

Trying to Make a Difference... Friday, November 30

On my way home today from boxing, my Angkas bike stopped at a red light and there, on the island in the middle of the road, stood a little boy.  He was selling flower necklaces for money and standing there with no shoes on and looking so sad. 

My heart cracked.  

I've been told not to give them money because sometimes these kids works for gangs who take all their money but I couldn't resist. Just as the light changed, I passed him a bill from my wallet. I swear, the more and more I see little kids begging, the more and more I'm convinced one day I'm going to randomly adopt a kid here. I don't want a child but it breaks my heart to see this on the daily.
And speaking of little kids that pull at my heart strings on the daily... tomorrow I have the Lil' Pow Boxing Class with my Lil' Sistas out in Antipolo!  I was just there last weekend but they had asked me to return this weekend because a company from Norway was coming to film them and they wanted me to be a part of it.

One problem... I thought they said Sunday.  It's Saturday, not Sunday... tomorrow!!!

No big deal but I had some posters to prepare and get laminated.  The problem was I was going to go tomorrow to laminate them because today is a holidays here in the Philippines.  No laminating today, damn.  That's okay.  I'll work around it.

The real problem though was I had double booked myself... double booked myself with my Lil' Sistas.  The Lil' Sistas in BGC are having a huge Christmas party tomorrow and I had been asked to attend and help out.  Of course I'd attend.  Now I can't though.  I have the Lil' Sistas out in Antipolo to coach.  I felt so bad having to cancel on the girls at Holy Family Home in BGC but I also know that they have a ton of volunteers helping out with the Christmas party.  I suspect that the Center of Hope doesn't get so much volunteer action because they are quite out there.  They're an hour drive out of the city on a good day, if you dodge the rush hour, but they're a solid two to two and a half hour drive if you get stuck in traffic and that's one way.  Of course you have to return, yikes. 

So tomorrow I'll be heading out to the Center of Hope to coach the Lil' Sistas in another Lil' Pow Boxing Class.  I'm planning to throw them a Christmas party event and part of it involves taking their measurements.  I need their measurements because I'll be matching every Lil' Sista up with a Big Sista, a lady from my Empowered Clubhouse private group page, and that Big Sista will be buying them a Christmas outfit.  I have 42 Lil' Sistas to match up.  That is the challenge.

Challenge accepted.  Where there's a will, there's a way... let's do it!!!

No comments: