As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Monday, March 18, 2019

A Struggling Start... Monday, March 19

The day was going good until I realized I couldn't go to boxing.

I went weight training instead.

Weight training was going good until my real estate agent texted me.

I knew I shouldn't have answered that text.

I didn't get that home I was holding my breath for, the clubhouse I wanted for Empowered.

The buyer's asking price was too sweet, it was too good to be true, and so someone snatched it up before I could even go for a second look.  Congrats to him, congrats to them but boo to me.  

Next.

My real estate agent seems to be on the ball of things and already was responding with pictures of other places she has.  That helped to soften the blow but it made for a rough time during training, having to push myself through the rest of my workout knowing the discouraging reality.  

I'm not going to lie, I got a bit teary-eyed.  In the back corner of the gym, by the leg press machine, my eyes swelled up with tears and I was so incredibly discouraged.  I'm at the point where I'm getting too tired to fight anymore.  I'm exhausting myself.

"This is a blessing in disguise", I tell myself.  

You can fight for what you want but don't push things that aren't meant to be, a piece of advice I picked up back when I was launching Hulk's.  We had been fighting for a particular spot for Hulk's for a solid three months and I had cried numerous nights over it.  It was so completely frustrating and so very discouraging but then one random night Snickers saw a glass door broken into so he went curiously into the building, just to check it out.  That was a Saturday night and by Monday we were meeting with the owner of that exact building to sign for the rights of it.

Maybe this location wasn't meant to be.  

I liked it but I didn't love it and I really wanted it to be in Mahogany 3, not 2.

Thursday I'm going to see a space in Mahogany 3.  It's a bit out of my budget but it's gorgeous.  I'm also seeing another place there too, three in total actually.  I'd hate to say this because it'd only put pressure on Thursdays viewings but maybe the owner taking the first offer and me not getting it was a blessing in disguise.  I'll hold on to that and hope that better is around the corner.  Maybe we'll turn that corner on Thursday.

No comments: