As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Another Clubhouse Option... Wednesday, March 13

What I like and what my clients like, they're not always the same thing.  Actually, they're usually totally different.  And while I'm cool with getting down and dirty at training and love mingling with the locals, my clients have a finer taste for life and I respect that.  

Today I headed out to see another location.  A possible space for Empowered.  And while it definitely had the clubhouse vibe with it's massive front yard and a raised area I could see my clients having late night BBQ's and girl time, the fact that there's a roaster across the road and a tricycle is their main form of transportation among these back streets, my clients would never come here.

I, on the other hand, could totally see myself living there and totally loving it there.

But this isn't for me, well, not entirely.  This is for Empowered.  

I could see myself going from making good money with coaching my elite clientele to ditching the pay check to coach the little barefooted kids running around in the streets.  

If the location was better, I'd take it.  I remember when I moved into Hulk's, the location for it was perfect but it made for a strange location to live it.  I gave up some of my personal comfort to up my business and it totally paid off.  I ended up loving living in the club because it meant I could work alongside my dogs and it gave them a safe, confined area for them to run around in and play in after hours (and even sometimes during hours actually).  

With Empowered, the plan is to make a clubhouse out of a house, not a condo and not out of a warehouse or store front.  I want a house.  And while I'm debating whether or not I want to live there, I've decided that yes, I'll give up some of my personal comfort for the sake of my business.  I already am all business now anyways so what's really the difference.  

If I were to decide on this particular house, I'd balance giving up some of my comfort with getting a third dog, Olga Ali.  I've always said I wanted another dog once I get the physical space for Empowered but then I got Cassius.  I couldn't bare Balboa being home alone as my increase in coaching hours left him as such and so I got him a little companion.  But now it looks like Empowered Clubhouse is finally materialising and so I question if I can in fact get a third dog or is that asking for too much.  Is it too much to take on a physical location for my business plus another dog?!  Perhaps I should just start with the clubhouse first.

No comments: